Going on 12 years in the Millsmont neighborhood

Looking for other contributors to this Millsmont-inspired blog....

Friday, October 3, 2008

Dogwalking University, Missing companion

These days I walk with my iPod and listen to NPR Technology, Bill Moyers, To the Point (a radio show from Santa Monica), a lecture series on psychology at the U. of Wash., and recently found a new series on veganism, a podcast from compassionatecook.com by Colleen. That doesn't mean I'm turning vegan, yet. But today I needed to pay attention. Almost got jumped by the "white wolf," a dog who lives on Simpson and sometimes gets out of his yard. He actually hides behind a fence, then comes out and bares his teeth at my dog. I retreat and turn the other way. It was a bad day for loose dogs. A black pitbull (well cared for, not starving) was sniffing around in front of my house today, and I had to wait till he went around the corner, to slip in my gate safely, with Yuki close beside me. We had a staring match for a few minutes, before he lost interest. I still haven't gotten in the habit of carrying a big stick (like others I've seen!). 

For two months, I walked and talked everyday with my neighbor around 9am. All the experiences I blogged about and wanted to blog about (but really didn't have time) were experiences I had with her. She hasn't left her house now since mid-August. Her illness has returned and now we visit her with food or just company. I put all the pictures I took on our walks onto a giant poster that I framed and gave her for her birthday recently.  She was so weak that she looked at it once and I don't think ever again. I realize the pictures are for me now.  Someday I'll manage to get them on here, and try to remember what I was thinking when I took the pictures. Some of them are blooming plants that she especially loved, and I planned to take the pictures to a nursery to identify them. I have many good memories of those walks, but they are bittersweet.

No comments: